Free download At the Edge of the Precipice: Henry Clay and the Compromise That Saved the Union by Robert V. Remini RTF
CAUTION! If links below aren't work, disable your AdBlock.
At the Edge of the Precipice: Henry Clay and the Compromise That Saved the Union
|Author:||Robert V. Remini|
|Rating:||4.1 of 5 stars|
|Original Format:||Hardcover, 200 pages|
|Download Formats:||lit, odf, azw, ibooks, fb2, mobi, pdf, epub, azw3|
|Publisher:||May 11th 2010 by Basic Books (first published January 1st 2010)|
|Tags:||Non Fiction History Military History Civil War American History|
|Original Title:||At the Edge of the Precipice: Henry Clay and the Compromise That Saved the Union|
|In 1850, America hovered on the brink of disunion. Tensions between slave-holders and abolitionists mounted, as the debate over slavery grew rancorous. An influx of new territory prompted Northern politicians to demand that new states remain free, in response, Southerners baldly threatened to secede from the Union. Only Henry Clay could keep the nation together.At the Edge of the Precipice is historian Robert V. Remini’s fascinating recounting of the Compromise of 1850, a titanic act of political will that only a skillful statesman like Clay could broker. Although the Compromise would collapse ten years later, plunging the nation into civil war, Clay’s victory in 1850 ultimately saved the Union by giving the North an extra decade to industrialize and prepare.
A masterful narrative by an eminent historian, At the Edge of the Precipice also offers a timely reminder of the importance of bipartisanship in a bellicose age.
See Also in History
- Download for free Paul: A Critical Life PDF
- Get Land of the Midnight Sun: A History of the Yukon, Second Edition iBook
- Read online The Crusades by Zoé Oldenbourg, Anne Carter PDF
- Download online for free Hitler's Secret Weapons: 1933 1945 ePub
- Download online Mesopotamian Chronicles (Writings from the Ancient World) (Writings from the Ancient World) (Writings from the Ancient World) by Jean-Jacques Glassner PDF
- Free online download An Introduction to the Study of Indian History PDF by Damodar Dharmananda Kosambi, Nalini Kosambi
- Free download A Short History of Chile by Sergio Villalobos R. PDB
- Download online for free Tales from the Tower of London PDF by Daniel Diehl, Mark P. Donnelly
- Download free The Venture of Islam, Vol 2: The Expansion of Islam in the Middle Periods (Venture of Islam #2) PDF by Marshall G.S. Hodgson
- Download online Alphaville 1988: Crime, Punishment and the Battle for New York City's Lower East Side by Michael Codella, Bruce Bennett PDF