Get Spartacus by Aldo Schiavone, Jeremy Carden MOBI
CAUTION! If links below aren't work, disable your AdBlock.
|Author:||Aldo Schiavone, Jeremy Carden|
|Rating:||3.7 of 5 stars|
|Original Format:||Hardcover, 208 pages|
|Download Formats:||ibooks, epub, mobi, pdf, lit, azw, odf, fb2, opf, kf8|
|Publisher:||March 5th 2013 by Harvard University Press (first published February 8th 2011)|
|Tags:||Non Fiction History Classics Biography|
|Spartacus (109? 71 bce), the slave who rebelled against Rome, has been a source of endless fascination, the subject of myth-making in his own time, and of movie-making in ours. Hard facts about the man have always yielded to romanticized tales and mystifications. In this riveting, compact account, Aldo Schiavone rescues Spartacus from the murky regions of legend and brings him squarely into the arena of serious history.
Schiavone transports us to Italy of the first century bce, where the pervasive institution of slavery dominates all aspects of Roman life. In this historic landscape, carefully reconstructed by the author, we encounter Spartacus, who is enslaved after deserting from the Roman army to avoid fighting against his native Thrace. Imprisoned in Capua and trained as a gladiator, he leads an uprising that will shake the empire to its foundations.
While the grandeur of the Spartacus story has always been apparent, its political significance has been less clear. What were his ambitions? Often depicted as the leader of a class rebellion that was fierce in intent but ragtag in makeup and organization, Spartacus emerges here in a very different light: the commander of an army whose aim was to incite Italy to revolt against Rome and to strike at the very heart of the imperial system. Surprising, persuasive, and highly original, "Spartacus" challenges the lore and illuminates the reality of a figure whose achievements, and whose ultimate defeat, are more extraordinary and moving than the fictions we make from them."
See Also in History
- Download for free Growing Up in Medieval London: The Experience of Childhood in History FB2 by Barbara A. Hanawalt
- Download online for free 1948 MOBI by Yoram Kaniuk, Ruth Achlama
- Review The Third Crusade 1191: Richard the Lionheart, Saladin and the battle for Jerusalem (Campaign #161) PDF
- Read The Battle for St. Michaels (I Can Read Books: Level 4) by Emily Arnold McCully PDF
- Find Party Over Section: The Rough and Ready Presidential Campaign of 1848 (American Presidential Elections) by Joel H. Silbey PDF
- Get The Annals of the World ePub by James Ussher, Larry Pierce, Marion Pierce
- Download for free Charlemagne: The Formation of a European Identity PDF
- Free online download The Twins Platoon: An Epic Story of Young Marines at War in Vietnam PDF by Christy W. Sauro Jr., Christy W. Sauro, Jr., Christy W. Sauro Jr.
- Get Schindler's List by Thomas Keneally PDF
- Find Crusader Castles and Modern Histories PDF